Key Stage 4
At Key Stage 4 we offer OCR GCSE Media Studies.
The aims of the course are:
- To develop students' ability to analyse a range of media texts, and their relationship with producers and audiences.
- To gain an understanding of media theoretical concepts and apply them to everyday media
- To enable students to acquire practical production skills such as storyboarding, and to acquire a knowledge of ICT techniques using desktop publishing and photo manipulation software.
- To enable students to evaluate their own experiences of media products and processes and to represent their ideas through practical assignments.
- To develop students' knowledge and awareness of the debates surrounding the role and influence of the media and their industries in society.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding across a range of different media forms
- Develop a critical understanding of the media and of media products
- Will respond to a short, unseen moving extract in exam conditions
- Will apply their knowledge and understanding of the media to the creation of their own product
Key Stage 5
At Key Stage 5 we offer A Level Media Studies. The course includes detailed analysis of still and moving images to explore and develop an understanding of how Media constructs reveal deeper ideas and attitudes in contemporary societies. In order to explore a wide variety of concepts and media languages, we look at a range of media texts, including TV, film magazines, newspapers and various forms of advertising. The course is assessed through two coursework assignments and two examinations, across the two years.